Looking to cook a mouth-watering rotisserie chicken in an air fryer? Before you start salivating, you need to make sure you have the right size air fryer for the job.
As a home cook or aspiring chef, you want to make sure that your chicken fits perfectly in the air fryer basket and cooks evenly.
But with so many options on the market, how do you know what size to choose? Fear not, dear reader! This article will guide you through the process of selecting the perfect air fryer size for your rotisserie chicken needs. So put on your apron and get ready to learn!
How Big of an Air Fryer Do I Need for a Rotisserie Chicken?
Any air fryer with at least a 6 quart and maximum of 16 quartbasket will fit a whole chicken. When in doubt, it is recommended to approximate 1.5 quarts (1.4 liters) for each person, and a 10-quart fryer (9.4 liters) will feed, on average, 5-7 people.
It is also important to consider your counter and storage space, as some rotisserie air fryers can be quite large.
If you plan to cook a Rotisserie chicken that is 4 or more pounds in an air fryer, you should look for a fryer with a rotisserie function that can handle at least a 3-4 pound bird.
Air fryers come in different sizes, ranging from 1.6 quarts to 16 quarts for some air fryer and toaster oven combo.
Here’s a breakdown of the different air fryer sizes and the corresponding chicken sizes they can accommodate:
- 1.6 to 2.5 quarts: suitable for small chicken sizes up to 2 pounds.
- 3 to 6 quarts: suitable for medium chicken sizes up to 4 pounds.
- 6 to 10 quarts: suitable for medium to large chicken sizes up to 5 pounds.
- 10 to 16.5 quarts: suitable for large chicken sizes up to 6 pounds and above.
The size of the air fryer you need for a rotisserie chicken depends on the maximum capacity of your unit. Air fryers with a rotisserie function come in a variety of sizes, so it’s important to know the maximum capacity of your unit to determine whether it will meet your cooking needs.
Overloading the rotisserie rod or basket with too much weight could cause the accessories to break or the rod to stop rotating properly.
How to cook a rotisserie chicken in an air fryer?
1. Purchase a large-capacity air fryer with rotisserie
If you’re looking to cook a delicious rotisserie chicken in your air fryer, it’s important to invest in an air fryer with a rotisserie function.
Here are some key factors to consider when purchasing a large-capacity air fryer with a rotisserie:
- Size: Look for an air fryer with a capacity of at least 16 quarts to accommodate a whole chicken.
- Wattage: Choose an air fryer with at least 1500 watts of power for efficient cooking.
- Features: Consider the pre-set cooking functions, temperature and time controls, and accessories included with the air fryer.
To find and purchase the best air fryers with rotisserie, check out online retailers such as Amazon, Best Buy, and Walmart. Don’t forget to read reviews and compare features before making a decision.
Investing in a high-quality air fryer with rotisserie is essential for cooking delicious and healthy rotisserie chicken for yourself and your family. With the right size, wattage, features, and price, you can enjoy perfectly cooked chicken every time.
Luckily, in the next section, we reviewed some of the Best Large Capacity Air Fryer with Rotisserie ranging from 10qt to 16qt.
2. Place the chicken on a roasting rack and tie together.
When it comes to cooking a rotisserie chicken in an air fryer, it’s important to use a roasting rack and tie the chicken together to ensure even cooking. Here are the steps to prepare the chicken:
- Truss the chicken with kitchen twine to secure it to the spit, making sure the wings and legs are tied tightly.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season it with a spice blend of your choice, covering all sides of the chicken.
- Place the chicken on a roasting rack in the air fryer basket, making sure it is not touching the heating element.
- Set the air fryer to 375°F and cook the chicken for 30-40 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Let the chicken rest for 10-15 minutes before carving and serving.
The air fryer works by circulating hot air around the food, creating a crispy exterior while keeping the inside moist and juicy. The roasting rack allows for air to flow underneath the chicken, ensuring even cooking.
Using an air fryer for rotisserie chicken has many benefits, including faster cooking times, less oil, and crispy skin. However, it’s important to use the right size air fryer for the chicken to ensure it fits properly and cooks evenly.
A smaller chicken is recommended for beginners to make sure it fits comfortably in the air fryer basket.
Cooking a rotisserie chicken in an air fryer is a simple and delicious way to enjoy a classic dish. Remember to truss the chicken, season it well, and use a roasting rack for even cooking.
With the right size air fryer and a little bit of patience, you can enjoy a perfectly cooked rotisserie chicken in the comfort of your own home.
3. Season the chicken and Place the chicken in the air fryer.
Proper seasoning and placement of the chicken in the air fryer are important to achieve the desired results. In this guide, we will provide you with a detailed step-by-step process for seasoning and placing a chicken in your air fryer for the perfect rotisserie chicken.
To season and place a chicken in an air fryer for cooking a rotisserie chicken, follow these steps:
- Prepare the seasoning mixture: In a small bowl, whisk together your desired spices, garlic, oil, and vinegar. Set aside.
- Preheat your air fryer: Preheat your air fryer to 380ºF for 5-10 minutes while you prepare the chicken.
- Truss the chicken: For the crispiest skin and most even cooking, we recommend trussing the chicken with butcher’s twine. If you do not wish to fully truss your chicken, tie the ends of the legs together with some butcher’s twine to make the bird easier to handle when transferring in and out of the air fryer.
- Season the chicken: Once the chicken is trussed, rub the majority ( about 80%) of the seasoning mixture evenly over the outside of the chicken, making sure to get all sides of the bird. Reserve the extra seasoning mix.
- Place the chicken in the air fryer: Once the air fryer is preheated, spritz or brush the bottom of the air fryer basket with oil. Place the chicken breast side down in the basket.
- Cook the chicken: Air fry at 380ºF for 30 minutes. Flip the chicken so it is now breast-side up. Use a basting brush to brush with more of the reserved seasoning mixture. Continue cooking at 380ºF for an additional 20-30 minutes, or until the internal temperature reads 165ºF on an instant-read thermometer.
Remember to adjust the cooking time and temperature according to the size of your chicken and your air fryer’s specifications. Enjoy your perfectly seasoned and cooked chicken!
4. Remove the chicken from the air fryer and let rest.
Remove the chicken to a wire rack set over a sheet pan. Let rest for 10 minutes before carving and serving.T
o properly remove the rotisserie chicken from the air fryer and let it rest, follow these steps:
- Use tongs to carefully lift the chicken out of the air fryer basket.
- Place the chicken on a cutting board or a plate.
- Tent the chicken with aluminum foil to keep it warm and allow the juices to redistribute.
- Let the chicken rest for 10-15 minutes before carving.
- Use a sharp knife to carve the chicken, starting at the leg and working your way toward the breast.
5. Serve the chicken.
After cooking the rotisserie chicken in an air fryer, there are several ways to serve it. Remember to wash your hands and any tools used for handling the chicken to prevent the spread of bacteria.
Safety precautions should also be taken when handling the hot air fryer basket and chicken.
Here are some serving options to consider:
- Whole chicken: Serve the chicken as is, on a platter, and let everyone carve their own portions. This option is great for family-style meals or when entertaining guests.
- Chicken breasts: Slice the chicken breasts and serve them on a plate with your choice of sides. This option is perfect for a quick and easy meal.
- Chicken tacos: Shred the chicken and use it as a filling for tacos. Add your favorite toppings such as salsa, cheese, and avocado.
- Chicken salad: Chop the chicken and mix it with your favorite salad ingredients. This option is great for a light and healthy meal.
When choosing the right size air fryer for your rotisserie chicken, consider factors such as the size of your family, the frequency of use, the size of the chicken, and the available storage space. Determine the appropriate air fryer size that can accommodate the chicken size you plan to cook.
Is my air fryer big enough for a whole chicken?
Having the right size air fryer is crucial when it comes to cooking a whole chicken. It’s important to consider several factors when determining if your air fryer is big enough for a whole chicken. It’s recommended to use an air fryer with a 6-to-10-quart size to ensure enough space for a whole chicken.
What size air fryer do I need to cook a rotisserie chicken?
The recommended size of an air fryer for cooking a rotisserie chicken is 6 to 10 quarts, depending on the maximum capacity of your unit. It is important to note the size of your air fryer basket when grocery shopping to ensure that you buy a chicken that fits.
Is it safe to cook a rotisserie chicken in an air fryer?
Yes, it is safe to cook a rotisserie chicken if done properly in the right temperature and time. While it is possible to make a delicious and crispy rotisserie-style chicken in an air fryer, there are some safety concerns that should be taken into consideration. The main risk associated with cooking a whole chicken in an air fryer is the potential for undercooked meat, which can lead to food poisoning.
Can you reheat air fryer rotisserie chicken?
Yes, it is possible to reheat rotisserie chicken in an air fryer. In fact, it is one of the best methods for reheating rotisserie chicken as it allows the chicken to remain moist on the inside while crisping up the skin. To do so, put the cooked chicken on the spit and reheat it at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 3-4 minutes.
Can you heat up rotisserie chicken in an air fryer?
Yes, it is possible to heat up rotisserie chicken in an air fryer. The air fryer is a small convection oven that circulates dry, hot air around the food, cooking it evenly on all sides. This makes it the perfect method for reheating rotisserie chicken because it will keep the chicken moist and juicy on the inside while crisping up the skin.
How nutritious is rotisserie chicken compared to fried chicken?
Chicken is a great source of essential nutrients such as niacin, vitamin B6, and high-quality protein. However, the preparation method can significantly impact its nutritional value.
Fried chicken, for instance, is high in calories due to the refined grains in the breading and energy-dense oil used for frying.
On the other hand, rotisserie chicken is a healthier option as it is lower in calories. The fat in rotisserie chicken drips off while turning on the spit, reducing the calorie count. In summary, while both types of chicken provide essential nutrients, rotisserie chicken is a healthier option for those looking to maintain a balanced diet.